Sunday Matinee is a Broadway show tunes radio show that originates from Cleveland, Ohio, on WRUW-FM 91.1 at Case Western Reserve University.
You can hear it live over the radio throughout Northeast Ohio every Sunday afternoon from 12 noon to 2:00 pm EST.
You can also hear it live online from anywhere in the world via WRUW’s website!
The show has been on the air since September of 1985, always presenting “the best, the worst, and everything in-between” from Broadway musical shows, Hollywood movie musicals and London musical theater.
Show Highlights – Regular Features
Each week, Sunday Matinee features a variety of regular musical features:
- An opening overture from a selected Broadway musical recording
- Showtunes from new musicals (shows like Avenue Q, Wicked, Grey Gardens, and more!) blended with the classics by Sondheim, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Jerry Herman. (Checkout some of our showtune radio playlists.)
- An Intermission, and more!
Sunday Matinee Special Features
Every year we do special “spotlight” shows to honor special days of the calendar, and special events in the world of Broadway theater and Hollywood. Here are some of our recurring features:
- May: Our annual “Mother’s Day” show, featuring songs for and about motherhood!
- May-June: Our annual review of Tony Award winners from 1947 to the present. Hear a song from each of the winners, and some extra commentary.
- July: Our annual “Independence Day” special featuring patriotic Broadway music, a complete reading of the Declaration of Independence, and the complete recording of 1776 with both the story and the music.
- December: Our annual “Holiday Special” featuring two hours of music for and about all the winter holidays. Sometimes we broadcast the complete musical soundtrack recording of “Scrooge” starring Albert Finney, combined with a synopsis of the story.
- … and many other specials sprinkled throughout the year! (Checkout some of our showtune radio playlists.)
If you haven’t heard the show yet, go ahead and listen to this past week’s show!